The second MapInfo/Forestry Users Group meeting was held on Friday, July 18, 2003 at the Roseburg Forest Products offices in Dillard, Oregon. The meeting was widely attended with participants traveling from as far away as Southern Oregon and Washington's Olympic Peninsula . After introductions and a general summary discussion of the past meeting a variety of useful internet resources were explored.
Robin Harkins of Roseburg Forest Products then demonstrated the new TerraViewer program by Mapping Solutions, LLC. This utility provides for on the fly access within MapInfo, to all maps and aerial photos available from the extensive Microsoft TerraServer site.
Tony Cooley next demonstrated a new MapPrint utility designed specifically for the forestry industry. The utility provides flexible options for creating hardcopy output. Batch printing capabilities are offered as well as the ability to integrate timber inventory data together with a stand map.
Finally the meeting concluded with a review of the features of the soon to be released MapInfo Version 7.5 which include:
- Web Map Service (WMS) client support allowing download of maps from a MapInfo, Intergraph and ESRI WMS server into MapInfo Professional
- 10 MB UNDO Buffer offering the ability to Undo more than just the last change.
- New HP Driver as a result of a corporative project with MapInfo and HP.
- Improvements to the existing tools as well as new tools.
- Map printing to scale via Layout Window, (no need to adjust Map Zoom).
- New fill patterns including Tree patterns. Better printing of fills.
- Mouse wheel functionality so that you can zoom in and out while drawing.
- Adding buffer or voronoi information into a new table on creation.
- Enhanced 3D support/features.
- Improvements to the Snap tool and CAD/like larger crosshairs when editing.
- Improved raster registration dialog.
- Raster display and processing performance improvements.
Questions/Comments please send us an email. or call: (541) 345-4MAP.
Return to Data Directions Services.